Classification of Organic Compoumds
1. Saturated Hydrocarbons: Compounds made up of Carbon and Hydrogen are called Hydrocarbons.If such compounds have only sigma σ bonds then it is called Saturated Hydrocarbons . Example : Ethane.
2. Unsaturated Hydrocarbons: Hydrocarbons which has at least one Pi π bonds then it is called Unsaturated Hydrocarbons . Example :
Unsaturated compounds with C⚌C are called Alkene Example : Ethene , Propene etc , whereas unsaturated compounds with C☰C are classified as Alkyne. Example :
3. Acyclic Compounds : Open chain compounds are called Acyclic Compounds. Example : Pentane.
4. Cyclic Compounds : Compounds with ring or cycles are called Cyclic Compounds. Example : CycloButane
4. Aromatic Compounds : At this level just the benzene or benzoid hydrocarbons may be considered as Aromatic.Such compounds are cyclic , has SP2 carbon in ring and has 3,5,7--- pi π bonds in a ring. Example : Benzene
5. Hetero-Aromatic Compounds : If an aromatic compound has atleast one atom other than Carbon in aromatic ring, then it is known as Hetero-Aromatic Compounds. Example : Pyrrole ,
5. Homo-Aromatic Compounds : If an aromatic compound has only one type of atom in aromatic ring ( Carbon ), then it is known as Homo-Aromatic Compounds. Example : Benzene
6. Aliphatic Compounds : It is a historical term . All compounds those are neither Aromatic nor Anti-aromatic are known as Aliphatic Compounds. . Example : Cyclohexane ,2-Pentene
7. Alicyclic Compounds : All compounds those are aliphatic as well as Cyclic are known as Alicyclic Compounds. Example : Cyclohexane ,
8. Homocyclic Compounds : All compounds in which ring / cycle is madeup of onlyone type of atom (Carbon) is called Homocyclic Compounds. Example : Cyclohexane ,
9. Heterocyclic Compounds : All compounds in which ring / cycle has atleast one atom other than Carbon is called Heterocyclic Compounds. Example : Tetrahydrofuran ,Oxazole
10.Anti-Aromatic Compounds : At this level just the Cyclobutadiene may be considered as Anti-Aromatic.Such compounds are cyclic , has SP2 carbon in ring and has 2 pi π bonds in a ring. Example : Cyclobutadiene
11.Bicyclo Compounds : Compounds in which two cycles are fused at two different atoms . Example : Bicyclo(2.2.1)heptane
12.Spirocyclic Compounds : Compounds in which two cycles are fused at atom. Example : Spiro(2.4)heptane